Safeguarding Biodiversity and Species Abundance in Corozal Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
Sarteneja Alliance for Conservation and Development (SACD)
Corozal Bay Wildlife Sanctuary (CBWS)
BFSF Thematic Area:
Protection For Biodiversity
May 2023 – April 2025
BFSF Funds ($BZD):
To ensure that the effective and financially sustainable management of CBWS prevents losses in biodiversity and safeguards the continued managed access to traditional livelihoods in the MPA through 2030.
- To ensure that high-quality MPA monitoring and enforcement data is available to inform adaptive management decisions for the protection of biodiversity in CBWS through April 2025.
- To strengthen the management and sustainability of the traditional beach trap fishery in CBWS, guided by a fully implemented sustainable fishery plan, by March 2024.
- To improve SACD’s financial sustainability through investments in SACD’s Business Arm, Tour Operator, and CBWS tourism stakeholders’ capacity by 2025.
- The increased effectiveness of the SACD S&E Team improves fisheries compliance within CBWS by 50% compared with the 2022 baseline by 2025.
- 100% of CBWS species conservation targets are fully managed by SACD before April 2025.
- An endorsed sustainable fishery plan is implemented in CBWS by March 2025.
- Revenue generation through expedition hosting increases by 200% from the 2022 baseline by 2025.
- CBWS tourism stakeholders are engaged in 50 days of direct employment annually by 2025.