Restoring Science, Community Engagement and Megafauna Tourism at Gladden Spit Marine Reserve
Gladden Spit and the Silk Cayes Marine Reserve
BFSF Thematic Area:
Protection For Biodiversity
June 2023 – May 2026
BFSF Funds ($BZD):
To improve the status of commercial fish and support a basis for marine wildlife encounter tourism in Southern Belize.
- Status of Gladden Spit MPA’s FSA and megafauna resources are assessed relative to environmental conditions.
- Resources, instruments, and capacities for rewilding of ecologically and economically important marine species in the Gladden Spit MPA are improved.
- Develop communication instruments to inform key stakeholders and the public on findings, activities, and proposed initiatives at Gladden Spit.
- Fish Spawning Aggregation (FSA) monitored.
- Marine megafauna and Fish Spawning Aggregation (FSA) monitored at Gladden Spit.
- Environmental monitoring of water quality parameters.
- Local fishing associations actively participate as members of the FSA and Shark Working Groups.
- Citizen science (CS) program developed.
- Trained fishers, guides, rangers, biologists, and students in identification of target species, reproductive life history characteristics, monitoring techniques and evaluations.
- Updated FSA monitoring protocol.
- Updated FSA and shark tourism course for Gladden Spit.
- Automation and standardization of data collection and analysis.
- Broadened communication and collaborations with key stakeholders.
- Creation of educational outreach materials and social media.
- A long-term management and financial sustainability plan developed.