Improving Management of TAMR through Technological Solutions
Turneffe Atoll Sustainability Association (TASA)
Turneffe Atoll Marine Reserve (TAMR)
BFSF Thematic Area:
Protection For Biodiversity
April 2023 – March 2025
BFSF Funds ($BZD):
To advance the protection of biodiversity and contribute to sustainable fisheries in the Turneffe Atoll Marine Reserve.
- To develop and test an integrated digital solution to enhance enforcement in TAMR by the end of the project.
- To transition to a digital solution for scientific data collection and analysis and assess fisheries and reef health using data collected through the digital solution by the end of the project.
- To develop and test digital tools to improve communication, education and outreach, and income diversification programs in stakeholder communities by the end of the project.
- To develop and implement (digital) spatial monitoring and reporting modules for enhanced visitor management to Turneffe.
- Integrated enforcement plan using technology solution developed and implemented.
- A new digital application that integrates all of TASA’s digital solutions in one place is created.
- TASA’s Conservation Officers and other MPA enforcement officers’ trained.
- Enforcement data to test and redesign digital applications for enhancement.
- Command centers for enforcement established.
- Digital solution finalized and approved for collecting and analyzing data.
- Commercial and herbivorous fish species monitored.
- Reef Health Index measured for TAMR and a database created with a new digital solution.
- Commercial fish, herbivorous fish and fish spawning aggregation data analyzed.
- Stakeholder’s knowledge of TASA’s work increased.
- Fishers have increased the management effectiveness of their businesses using digital solutions.
- Digital solution developed to assist with visitor management and marketing.
- Visitation trends in Turneffe ascertained by site.
- Marketing needs/targets established and prioritized.